Scott H. Moore
An experienced Hungarian-to-English translator, Hungarian-to-English linguistic proofreader, and editor/proofreader of texts translated into English or written in English by non-native speakers. Previously worked as an independent business consultant on strategy and
marketing, and as a market analyst and consultant in the IT and telecoms sectors. Published writer of poetry and short prose, board game designer, and amateur classical
10/2009 – present: FREELANCE TRANSLATOR AND PROOFREADERBudapest, Hungary and Birmingham, UK.
- Hungarian-to-English translation of internal documentation for business and IT projects, contracts, letters, sales and marketing material, and Websites.
- Linguistic proofreading of Hungarian-to-English translations of academic papers, Websites, and press releases.
- Proofreading of medical texts.
- Hungarian-English interpreting for social services, schools, hospitals and GPs.
- Clients have included IT, engineering, finance and non-profit companies, the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, various Hungarian universities and freelance Hungarian translators
07/2009 – 12/2011: INDEPENDENT BUSINESS CONSULTANT Budapest, Hungary
- Provided consultancy services primarily to Hungarian companies in the IT, telecommunications and technology sectors .
- Developed business strategies for start ups and new lines of business .
- Created marketing plans based on market research
04/2005 – 06/2009: SENIOR CONSULTANT: IDC CEMA – Consulting Team Budapest, Hungary
- Responsible for managing the end-to-end delivery of consultative and customised ITmarket research projects in the Central & Eastern Europe and Middle East & Africa .
- Prepared and presented proposals, managed project planning and budgeting using a mechanism to calculate individual project costing for presentation of solution to client.
- Engaged the client across the life cycle of the project from initial start up, reporting on progress through the project through to final completion with full after-sales support.
- Supported local & international IDC sales teams in negotiating for & closing of new business .
- Acknowledged as a specialist in ICT topics, providing strategic advice to IT vendors and governmental agencies looking to expand business and generate additional revenues .
- Created professional marketing materials for IT vendor clients to exploit new opportunities
04/2000 – 03/2005: PROGRAM MANAGER: IDC CEMA – Comms Group Prague, Czech Republic and Budapest, Hungary
- Responsible for managing, training and mentoring of a team of 6 analysts.
- Led market research in Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East & Africa in the areas of telecommunications services, communications equipment and Internet services .
- Managed studies, customised research & consulting projects for Central & Eastern Europe .
- Presented at major regional and country-level conferences on telecommunications.
EARLY CAREER INCLUDES: EARLY CAREER INCLUDES:
- Senior Analyst IDC UK – European Telecoms Group, London, UK .
- Visiting Scientist TUHH, Hamburg, Germany .
- TEFL Teacher Inlingua, Irún, Spain
- Project Management – Project Management Professional Training, UK .
- Power Writing – nSight, USA .
- European Projects (FP6) – IVSZ, Hungary .
- Sales, Personnel Management, Project Management – Mercuri International.
- Basic and Advanced Presentation Skills – Talkshop, UK .
- Level 2 Award Wines & Spirits – WSET, London, UK
- MSc in Optical Electronics, University of Strathclyde, UK & TUHH, Hamburg, Germany .
- BSc in Physics with Astronomy, University of Southampton, UK
- Hungarian: full professional proficiency .
- Spanish: full professional proficiency .
- Portuguese: advanced proficiency .
- French: intermediate proficiency .
- German: basic proficiency
- Published writer of poetry and short prose.
- Member of the Off the Shelf writers group based in Birmingham.
- Board game designer and member of three Birmingham-based board game clubs.
- Organiser since 2013 of the board game tournaments at the annual UK Games Expo.
- Classical guitarist